Tuesday, August 4, 2009

How good is 2008 in Burgundy? Lunch with Laurent Drouhin!

Had a very casual lunch with Laurent Drouhin today at Rye Grill & Bar, which used to be my next door neighbor at our old store. Happy to report that "heart attack" (petit filet sandwich) is back to being more than Petit. I did not have it, but I convinced Laurent to give it a whirl.

Anyways, Joseph Drouhin is now 100% organic, FYI. All of their Domaine wines are 100% effective 2009 vintage, although most of it was already.

They are changing the packaging on their Chablis lineup effective 2008 vintage. They are separating it from the Joseph Drouhin labels, since everyone assumes they are a negoc Chablis producer, while 90% of their Chablis production in Estate Bottled!

2008 vintage in Chablis is the best of this decade (better than 2004, Laurent says).

2008 reds are great according to Laurent, Veronique and their father. The other 2 brothers (Philip and Patrick, I think) are not as enthusiastic.

If you have ever met Laurent, you would know that he is a very honest business man that pulls no punches. I never take anything he says with a grain of salt, because I have never had to.

FYI, it was a casual lunch, so I had a soda, he had iced tea.

No comments: