Friday, June 5, 2009

Dinner with Santiago Achaval (4 June 2009)

Last night, a few of us got together with Santiago Achaval, one of the men behind Achaval Ferrer, probably the best wine producer in Mendoza.

Dinner was at Triomphe and organized by Fernando Losada. The food was excellent, as usual there. We paid the restaurant $90 for 3 courses (I added a salad for a 4th course), which included, tax and about a 35% tip for the staff.

Forgive me, as I am going off of memory, as those that know me, much like Jay Miller, I do ot take notes, just put it into the memory bank...

First wine was a 2005 Domaine Weinbach Riesling Clos St Catherine. A very nice wine, needed some more time, I wish I went back to it at the end of the night, but instead I revisited my WOTN...1992 Raveneau Chablis Butteaux. Full disclosure, I brought this wine and I am glad I did. It just got better and better as the night went on, showing no sign of being 17 years old!

On to the reds...first up 2001 Mordoree Reine des Bois (Fernando brought). This was a pretty tasty wine, but I suspect this will only get better over time. The next wine to compare to was blind (brought by Jose). I guess a 10 year old California Cabernet. It was soft and juicy and a little chocatey. For me, it was Napa, but the btl revealed a 2001 Clos Erasmus. A very nice wine, but nowhere near the price of admission.

Then we jumped back to CDP. I supplied a very tasty btl of 1999 Bonneau CDP Cuvee Celestins. Pey-Wen really enjoyed this one as did others. I think two people would have said WOTN had there been a vote. I enjoyed it immensely. It was popped and poured. I think I would have liked it more if the btl temp were a little cooler, but that was my fault.

Moving onto Spain...2004 Terreus from Mauro (Pey-Wen brought this). I hated this one out of the btl. I defer to Jose, who tells me that 1996 Terreus is one of the all time great wines of Spain (he compared it to 1970 Unico...he must have been drunk ;)). This clearly got better over time in the glass, so I wlil be patient and maybe go back in 5 years. 2001 Alion was AWESOME. Bang for your buck, my WOTN. I love Alion and this one was absolutely delicious.

Santiago brought a terrible btl of Paso Robles Cabernet. $30 retail. Angwin or something like that, but it should have been called ALCOHOL. The heat was tremendous. Not a fan...back to the woodshed.

He also brought a 2004 Achaval Ferrer Bellavista. Wow! This was good. For anyone unfamiliar, Santiago Achaval produces 3 single vineyard Malbecs...Mirador, Altamira and Bellavista...Bellavista is the estate property. Due to hail, none produced in 2005 or 2006, but there is 2007 and 2008. Most consider this their best wine, although I tend to gravitate towards Altamira. Nevertheless, this 2004 was rockin.

Pey-Wen through a blind curveball at us. No hints...Fernando thought Syrah from Rhone, I said New world...specifically California and Syrah...2004 vintage...It turned out to be Ch St Jean Reserve Malbec from Sonoma. A very good wine. Not sure of cost, but only sold at the winery.

All in all, a great night, with great food and great people. Santiago listened as we all took shots at bashing certain wine critics and publications, and he remained very silent, and professional throughout.

No comments: