Monday, September 28, 2009

Dinner at Apiary!

So, I jumped the gun and went to Apiary on Saturday evening with friends. The place was packed. Good wine list, but I opted to pay corkage. They had a smoked salmon appetizer special that came with some caviar and a poached egg that was awesome (more like breakfast food, but happy to eat breakfast all of the time). The pork chop was bigger than me head. One of my friends had the Rabbit Papardelle. Not sure I have ever had Rabbit so tender. And, for a bargain appy, wifee had the Mushroom Soup for $8, that was very tasty...onto the wines...

2002 Bernard Morey Chassagne Montrachet Morgeots- Man, I am not sure this ever tasted better. Talk about a "suck down" Chardonnay...this was absolutely delicious. I think I paid about 50 shekels and worth every penny. Such lively fruit integrated into the oak, wow!

1999 Alban Pandora- After the AWFUL btl of 2005 Alban Reva at SLONYC #1 with Pobega, I had to pull my last 99 Pandora from my "extensive" cellar. I fell in love with the 1999 Albans back in the day, which led me to buy up subsequent vintages for the store. We decanted this for about 45 minutes. The nose was open for business and absolutely stunning. I think the bouquet could be smelled across the room. The wine, in the front and mid palate, was terrific. Delicious, sweet, candied fruit, it was a good pair for the pork (everything pairs well with pork;)). But something was amiss on the finish. It just dropped off a cliff. While the wine was certainly delicious, it left me wanting more. Maybe drank a couple of years too late? Still a good effort.

No comments: