Thursday, October 1, 2009

Tasting corked wine with suppliers!

A few weeks ago, there were many wholesale/trade tastings in NY. I try to taste as much as I can, but I cannot help but get frustrated when they pour me a flawed wine. Usually, they are just corked. I try to point them out, but often times the person pouring is a volunteer. It is more embarassing when it is an actual winemaker or importer.

Then, this week, I had an appt with a well known Napa winery at the store. They brought in 4 wines. Each was about 60% full, as they had been to appts throughout the day.

Wine #4 was corked. They tasted it in the morning (they claimed) to make sure it was correct. Then they visited other retailers, who did not say a word.

Our industry is a joke.

Any thoughts?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Each of us has a different "threshold" for each element we may smell or taste. I, too, am in the business and have a very low threshold for TCA. I can usually smell it across the room. But there are other smell that sometimes bypass me, sulfur, for instance. I grew up in Santa Clara Valley and still associate that smell with late summer and the drying sheds for apricots, plums, peaches, etc. Sulfur was burned in the sheds in Sept. and to this day, a whiff of it will make me homesick - even if I don't really isolate that smell. On the other hand TCA reminds me of spending hot afternoons lying under a rotting pier . . . yum.